Vegan Zucchini Bread
Author: Holy Cow!
Recipe type: Bread/Dessert
Serves: 2 loaves, 24 slices
- 1½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tsp powdered cinnamon and cloves. You can also use one or the other.
- 1 cup lightly toasted and chopped pecans or walnuts
- Mix the ingredients together and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together:
- 3 tbsp flaxmeal and 9 tbsp water
- Add and mix:
- 4 tbsp canola or other vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- Then whisk in:
- ¾ cup applesauce
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups grated zucchini (about two small to medium zucchini)
- Add the wet mixture to the dry, whisking it in ⅓rd of the flour at a time, until well mixed. Do not overmix because you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour.
- Grease and flour two standard-size loaf pans. Divide the batter equally between the two and smooth down the top.
- Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack about 15 minutes, then slide a knife around the edges to unmold. Place right-side-up on a rack to cool. This bread also tastes great slightly warm.
Recipe by Holy Cow! at http://holycowvegan.net/2009/06/low-fat-zucchini-bread.html