Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Cinnamon Buns/Rolls
Serves: Makes 12 buns
- For Cinnamon Buns:
- 2¼ tsp active dry yeast + ½ cup warm (NOT hot) water. Stir together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add: ½ cup hot, but not boiling, soymilk (plain or vanilla)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup transfat-free vegetable shortening
- 1½ tsp EnerG egg replacer + 2 tbsp warm water (use corn starch with the same amount of water as a substitute)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- For cream cheese glaze
- ½ cup vegan cream cheese, like Tofutti
- ⅓- 1/2 cup confectioners' (powdered) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Make the buns:
- Mix at low speed if using a stand mixer, or by hand, for about 2-3 minutes until the ingredients are well mixed.
- Add to this: The yeast mixture, and Another 1 to 1½ cups of all-purpose flour, a little at a time, to form a smooth dough.
- Knead for a couple of minutes, by hand or on low speed if using a stand mixer.
- Remove the dough to a bowl coated with oil and set aside to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 to 1½ hours. (I leave it in the unheated oven with the light on).
- When the dough has doubled in size, punch it down and roll it into a rectangle on a floured surface, about 14 inches in length and 9 inches in width.
- Brush the surface with canola oil. Mix together: ½ cup sugar 1 tbsp ground cinnamon ½ cup toasted walnuts, chopped .
- Sprinkle the sugar-walnut-cinnamon mixture evenly on the dough.
- Now, starting at the 14-inch side, roll up the dough and press the edges together to seal them.
- Cut the roll at about 1-inch intervals, to make 12-15 individual rolls.
- Place the rolls side by side in a standard rectangular 9X12-inch pan brushed with oil. You can sprinkle some sugar mixed with ground cinnamon at the bottom of the pan, before putting the rolls in.
- Set the rolls aside, again in a warm place, for about 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (if your rolls are rising in the oven, be sure you take them out before you preheat!)
- Bake the rolls for 30 minutes until nicely browned. Remove and place on a rack to cool slightly when you can go ahead and frost them.
- Make the glaze:
- Beat all ingredients together, adding a little sugar at a time, until you have a smooth glaze.
- Drizzle or spread the glaze over the still-warm rolls and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2009/04/vegan-cinnamon-rolls-with-cream-cheese.html