Spaghetti Gratin with Artichoke Cashew Cheese
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
- 1 16-oz package of whole-wheat spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces and cooked per package directions until al dente.
- 2 cups frozen artichoke hearts. I put them in a microwave with 2 tbsp of water and zap them for about five minutes or until they're quite tender. Drain the artichoke hearts and reserve.
- ½ cup cashew nuts, roasted lightly.
- 2 heaping tbsp nutritional yeast.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups of mushrooms, halved if small and quartered if large
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup breadcrumbs, tossed with 1 tsp olive oil, salt and ground black pepper
- A generous dash of ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- To make the artichoke cashew cheese, place the cashew nuts in a blender along with the artichokes, nutritional yeast, salt, ground black pepper, and enough water to make a smooth paste.
- Blend into a very smooth consistency. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and saute the sliced onions until they turn translucent, about five minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir-fry a few seconds.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until they are tender, another five minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and add the spaghetti along with ¼ cup of the pasta cooking water. Add the artichoke cheese and stir well to mix everything.
- Pour the spaghetti into a gratin dish or baking dish. Sprinkle another ¼ cup of the pasta cooking liquid over the spaghetti.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top. Place under a medium-hot broiler for 10 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/in-my-kitchen-april-2013/