Chickpea Curry with Caribbean Spices
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Curry
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked for 8 hours and then cooked until tender
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno chili peppers, finely minced
- 1 tbsp canola or other vegetable oil
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, diced into ½-inch cubes
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- ¼ cup chopped coriander or cilantro leaves
- For the masala or spice powder:
- Roast until just a couple of shades darker and then powder in a blender or spice-grinder:
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 5 cloves
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- In a saucepan, heat the oil
- Add the onion and fry until it starts to brown.
- Add the jalapeno chilies, garlic, the thyme, and the powdered spices, and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add the chickpeas and the potatoes along with about 2 cups of water (use up any water left over from cooking the chickpeas),
- Add salt. Bring the curry to a boil, then turn the heat to low, cover the saucepan, and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and, if desired, some freshly diced onions and tomatoes.
- Serve hot.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2009/01/chickpea-curry-with-caribbean-spices.html