Vegan Banana Cake
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup canola or other vegetable oil
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 small, very ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup soymilk + ¼ tsp balsamic vinegar (set aside five minutes to curdle)
- 1 tbsp confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Beat together the oil and sugar with a handheld mixer for about two minutes.
- Add the soymilk mixture and beat until just mixed.
- Add the mashed bananas and beat in. Make sure there are no big lumps remaining.
- Add the flour to the banana-soymilk-oil mixture in 2 batches, beating in after each addition until the mixture is smooth. Do not overbeat, though.
- Line a 9-inch square pan with parchment or wax paper. Oil the paper.
- Pour in the batter and bake 25-30 minutes in a 350-degree oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the cake on a rack to cool.
- After about 10 minutes, lift out the cake by the parchment paper and place it on the rack to cool thoroughly.
- Dust the confectioners' sugar over the cake. Cut into squares and devour!
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2009/01/tender-glorious-vegan-banana-cake.html