Vegan Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Dessert
- For Carrot Cake:
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups turbinado sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups applesauce
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, lightly toasted, then coarsely chopped.
- For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- To make cake, sift the whole wheat pastry flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into a bowl.
- In another bowl mix the canola oil, applesauce, grated carrots, and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the oil-applesauce carrot mixture and stir everything to blend evenly.
- Add walnuts and mix.
- Grease and flour 2 9-inch cake pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper, if posibble because this makes it far easier to unmold the cake. Oil the parchment paper as well.
- Now divide the batter evenly between the two pans
- and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the cake pans on a rack for 15 minutes. Then unmold the cakes gently and allow them to cool thoroughly on the rack. Frost when completely cooled.
- To make frosting, beat together all of the frosting ingredients in a bowl until very smooth.
- To frost, place one of the cooled cakes on a cake stand or plate. Smear the top with some frosting.
- Carefully place the other cake on top of the first one. Cover the cake with the remaining icing using a spatula.
Recipe by Holy Cow! at http://holycowvegan.net/2009/01/vegan-carrot-cake.html