Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Curry
- 4 cups of mixed veggies (I used potatoes, green beans and pumpkin, but you can add sweet potatoes, carrots, colocasia, plantain, eggplant, green peas...most veggies would be great in this)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 red chillies
- 2 tbsp bengal gram dal
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Heat the canola oil and add the bengal gram dal. Stir until lightly browned, add red chillies and stir for another minute.
- Put the bengal gram dal in a blender along with the ginger, coconut milk and cumin seeds. Blend to a smooth paste.
- Cook the vegetables with some water until almost tender.
- Place the vegetables in a saucepan with 1 cup water, the ground coconut-cumin paste, salt and turmeric.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook for another five minutes until the vegetables are quite tender.
- Heat the coconut oil in a separate pan.
- Add the curry leaves, stir for a minute, then pour into the aviyal.
- Stir in and turn off the heat. Check salt and add more if needed.
- Serve hot with venn pongal or even plain boiled rice.
Recipe by Holy Cow! at http://holycowvegan.net/2009/01/time-to-eat-pongal.html