Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Desserts
- 1 cup warm water
- 4½ tsp active dry yeast
- 4½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp vegan "butter" like Smart Balance's vegan version or Earth Balance vegan butter
- 2 tbsp vegetable or canola oil.
- ⅔ cups sugar
- ¾ cups of soft tofu
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- Mix the yeast and water in a bowl and let it stand until the yeast is frothy, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of all-purpose flour and stir in until smooth.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow it to rise in a warm place, around 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, beat together the vegan butter and oil in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer
- Add sugar and beat in until fluffy and light.
- Add soft tofu and almond milk and beat about 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla, salt and beat in until well-blended.
- Add the remaining 3½ cups of all-purpose flour and the flour-yeast mixture and beat in until the dough comes together.
- Move to a greased bowl, turning over once to coat with oil.
- Cover tight with plastic wrap and place in a warm place for about 2 hours until the dough has risen to about twice its size.
- Punch down the dough, cover with a plastic wrap, and place in a refrigerator about 3 hours. The dough will continue to rise.
- After 3 hours, turn out the dough on a lightly floured surface, and roll to about ½-inch thickness.
- With a doughnut cutter or with a cookie cutter, cut out doughnuts and place them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Allow the donuts to rise until about doubled in size, 1-2 hours.
- Heat oil in a frying pan to 365 degrees. A thermometer for deep frying is invaluable in helping you maintain a perfect frying temperature so the donuts don't absorb oil but just cook in it.
- Drop the donuts in one or two at a time, and cook both sides until golden.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/vegan-doughnuts/