Cauliflower Dal with French Lentils
Recipe type: Main
- 1 cup French Lentils, cooked in a pressure cooker or put in a microwave-safe bowl with enough water to cover the lentils, and microwaved until tender
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, separated into florets
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1-inch knob of ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 6 green cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- For tempering:
- 1 tsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- Heat the 1 tbsp vegetable oil and add cardamom
- Stir for a minute and add the onions.
- Fry on medium heat until the onions brown at the edges.
- Add the ginger and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the coriander powder, chilli powder and turmeric and stir to coat with oil.
- Add the cauliflower and salt to taste. Stir well, add ½ cup of water, cover and let cook until the cauliflower is tender.
- Add the lentils and stir well. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Check salt.
- Heat the oil for tempering. Add the cumin seeds and, when they sputter, add the garlic.
- Stir-fry the garlic until light brown. Pour the garlic-oil mixture on the dal.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with rice.
Recipe by Holy Cow! at http://holycowvegan.net/2008/10/ginger-infused-cauliflower-dal-with.html