Banana Oat Scones
Author: Holy Cow!
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups rolled oats. Process 1 cup into a powder in the food processor.
- 2 tbsp transfat-free shortening
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup almond milk (can use soy milk)
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp flax meal (ground flaxseeds)
- ¾ cup walnuts, lightly toasted, then chopped
- Add the shortening to the flour in a bowl and, with a fork, cut the shortening into the flour until you have a fairly granular texture.
- Add the oats, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix the bananas, almond milk, vinegar, flax meal and sugar.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together. Add the walnuts and stir in. You will have a fairly thick but still loose batter.
- Drop the batter on a greased cookie sheet in rounds– this batter will make around 12 scones.
- Bake in a 375-degree preheated oven about 25-30 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
- Eat warm with some vegan spread or a pat of jelly or just on their own.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2008/10/banana-oat-scones.html