Cumin Pepper Rasam
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Side
- 1-2 cups stock from the tuvar dal, plus 1-2 tbsp of the lentils
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp of tamarind extract or a ½-inch ball of tamarind soaked in water and juices extracted
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- A generous pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- For the masala:
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp tuvar dal
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chilies
- ½ tsp vegetable oil
- Stir fry the masala ingredients in the oil until they are light gold and fragrant. Transfer to a blender and grind with just enough water to make a smooth paste.
- In a saucepan, heat the remaining oil.
- Add the mustard and cumin seeds and when they sputter, add the curry leaves
- Add ½ cup of water and tamarind paste.
- Bring to a boil, then add tomatoes.
- When the tomatoes break down slightly, add the ground masala paste.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the dal and "stock" and salt to taste.
- Bring to a rolling boil and let it boil about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot.
Recipe by Holy Cow! at http://holycowvegan.net/2008/10/plate-of-south-indian-comfort-sambar.html