Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Side
- 1 cup garbanzo beans or chickpeas, soaked overnight if possible, the cooked until tender. If using canned, use about 3 cups of the beans
- 1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 canned whole tomatoes with juice, diced
- 1 chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- ½ tsp red chilli powder or cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Grind to a powder in a coffee grinder and set aside:
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- ½-inch piece of cinnamon
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until browned
- Add the ginger and garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add the ground spices, turmeric, chili powder and the chipotle chili pepper and stir for a minute until the spices are well-coated with the oil and lightly toasted.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they break down and express the oil.
- Add the garbanzo beans, enough liquid to make a thick gravy, and stir together. Add salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil, turn heat to low, and simmer about 10 minutes so all the flavors can merge.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with a splash of lemon juice. You can also add a garnish of minced onions which would be delicious.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/chana-bhatura-trip-down-memory-lane/