Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Main
- 1 cup basmati rice, cooked (you can substitute with brown)
- 3 canned whole tomatoes, chopped, with about 1 cup of the juice
- 1 tsp canola or other vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp udad dal (black gram lentils)
- 2 tbsp cashew pieces (optional)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tbsp sambar powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds, roasted until lightly browned and powdered in a spice grinder.
- 2-3 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the mustard seeds and when they sputter, add the udad dal and cashew pieces. Stir until lightly browned.
- Add the curry leaves and onions and saute until the onions are translucent and just beginning to turn brown.
- Add the tomatoes, sambar powder, chilli powder and turmeric.
- Saute and cook until the tomatoes darken and begin to express the oil.
- Add salt to taste.
- Turn the heat to low and add the rice. Stir in gently, taking care not to mash the rice, until the rice and tomato paste are well-mixed.
- Check salt. Stir in the methi powder. Garnish with coriander and serve hot with some microwaved papads.
Recipe by Holy Cow! at http://holycowvegan.net/2008/10/tangy-tomato-bhath.html