Moroccan Chickpea Stew
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Stew
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked for a few hours or overnight, then cooked until tender in a pressure cooker or on the stovetop.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 red bliss or yellow potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved, or about 5 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 zucchini, finely diced
- 1 green pepper, finely diced
- 1 tbsp coriander + 1 tsp cumin seeds, ground into a powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp thyme, remove leaves from stems and run a knife through them.
- For the Harissa paste
- 15 red chilies, soaked for about 2 hours and then drained
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds + 1 tsp coriander seeds, lightly toasted, then powdered in a spice grinder.
- Make the Harissa paste by putting all of the Harissa ingredients in a food processor and process until fairly smooth. You can freeze the remaining paste in an air-tight jar.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and add the onions.
- Fry until the edges are browned. Add the ginger and garlic and saute another minute.
- Add the chickpeas and about 2 cups of liquid. Add tomatoes, coriander-cumin powder, potatoes, turmeric and salt to taste.
- Cover and cook about 20 minutes.
- Add the thyme, carrots, zucchini and green peppers. Cook another 10 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
- Check salt. Stir in 2 tbsp of the Harissa paste (recipe follows).
- Serve hot.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2008/09/moroccan-chickpea-stew.html