Spicy Vegan 'Kheema' (Mince)
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Side
- 1 cup soya granules or textured vegetable protein (TVP), soaked in boiling water for at least 15 minutes. Drain and squeeze out the excess water.
- 1 tbsp canola or any vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup carrots, cut into a very small dice
- 1 cup green peas (I used frozen)
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4-5 sprigs of mint, leaves removed from the stems, then chopped
- Grind into a fine powder in a coffee/spice grinder:
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 3 cardamom cloves
- 4 cloves
- 1 1-inch stick of cinnamon
- 2 red chillies
- 1 tbsp peppercorns (use less or skip if you don't want the kheema to be too spicy)
- Heat the oil in a wide saucepan.
- Add the ginger and garlic and saute for a minute until fragrant but don't let it burn.
- On medium heat, add the spice powder and stir to toast, about a minute.
- Add the carrots and stir for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and stir. Cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes are broken down and the juices have evaporated.
- Add the peas, corn kernels and the textured vegetable protein. Add the salt.
- Cook for about 15 more minutes, until all the flavors have blended.
- Add the coconut milk, mix in, and turn off the heat. Add the mint and mix.
- Serve hot with chapatis or rice.
Recipe by Holy Cow! at http://holycowvegan.net/2008/09/spicy-vegan-kheema-mince.html