Almond Kheer (Rice Pudding)
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Dessert
- ¾ cup basmati rice
- 1½ cups water
- 4 cups almond milk
- ½- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup almonds and cashew nuts chopped (you can use one of the other)
- 2 tbsp golden raisins
- ¾ tsp cardamom powder (seeds from about 10 pods, crushed)
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- Heat the rice and the water until they come to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the water is absorbed by the rice.
- Add to this the almond milk, vanilla, and ½ to ¾ cups of sugar, depending on how sweet you want it to be.
- Let the kheer simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has thickened. Let it remain a little fluid because it will thicken as it stands.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet.
- Add the nuts and stir until lightly browned. Add the raisins and cardamom powder and stir for about a minute.
- Pour over the kheer.
- Tip: This kheer tastes great warm, but I love it most chilled
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/vegan-almond-kheer-rice-pudding/