Garlicky Pasta with Broccoli and Beans
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Pasta
- 1 pound wholegrain spaghetti, broken into two-inch pieces and cooked according to package instructions until al dente.
- 1 bulb of garlic (about 12 cloves), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry navy beans or 3 cups canned.. If you're using dry navy beans, cover with a couple of inches of water, bring to a boil, cover the pot, and let the beans simmer 1-2 hours or until tender.
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into slim florets
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Lots of ground black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 packed cup parsley, minced
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions and garlic along with a good pinch of salt and some ground black pepper. Saute until the onions turn soft and translucent, about 8 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the red pepper flakes, stir in, and then add the broccoli florets.
- Cook, stirring frequently, no more than five minutes or as long as it takes for the broccoli to turn just slightly tender. It should still have a good bite.
- Add the pasta and beans to the saucepan along with some salt and more ground black pepper. Mix everything together. Add ½ cup of the pasta water to make a little sauce.
- Add the parsley and lemon juice and stir to mix.
- Serve hot.
Calories: 328 Fiber: 7.9 grams Protein: 15.8 grams
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2014/07/pasta-broccoli-beans.html