Molletes with Mango-Basil Salsa
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 6 bolillo rolls, split into halves
- For Refried Beans
- 3 cups black beans, cooked or canned (drain thoroughly. If you cook your own, use 1 cup of dry beans, soak for a few hours before you cook, and toss in a bay leaf-- it gives the perfect flavor)
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped coriander leaves or cilantro
- For Mango Salsa:
- 2 ripe mangoes, skin and seed removed. Chop the mangoes in a small dice
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- Juice of ½ lime
- 10 basil leaves, cut into thin riboons
- Make the Refried Beans:
- Heat the oil in a saucepan large enough to hold the beans later.
- Add the onions and salt and ground black pepper and saute for a few minutes until the onion starts to soften. Add the garlic and continue to cook over low heat for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chipotle chili and cumin powder and stir well to mix.
- Add the cooked beans along with 1½ cups of the cooking liquid or water or vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil and turn down the heat to a simmer. Let the beans cook about 10 minutes. If they get dry, add more water or stock.
- Using a potato masher, mash the beans until some are completely mashed and others are still whole or have some texture.
- The finished beans should have a thick, slightly soupy texture. They will thicken further as they stand, so this is important.
- Stir in the coriander leaves.
- Make the Mango-Basil Salsa:
- Mix all the ingredients and set aside 30 minutes for flavors to merge.
- Assemble the Mollete:
- Take the lower half of the bolillo bread and scoop out some of the crumb-- I like to do this so I can get more filling inside, but if you don't want to do this, that's fine too.
- Toast the bolillo until the edges are just turning crisp.
- Slather on some of the refried beans, top with the mango salsa, and serve immediately.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/mexican-molettes/