Banana Nut Muffins
Author: Holy Cow!
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 1¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 6 tbsp canola oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp molasses (optional)
- 2 tbsp powdered flax seeds mixed well with 6 tbsp water
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup pecans (can use walnuts), lightly toasted, then chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and oil a standard-size muffin tin (mine bakes 12 muffins at a time).
- Mix the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and chopped nuts.
- In a larger bowl, mix the oil, sugar, molasses, flax seed-water mixture, bananas and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the flour mixture until all the wet ingredients are just moist. Do not overmix. The batter should be lumpy, like pancake batter, rather than smooth.
- With a standard-sized ice cream scoop, or with a tablespoon, divide the batter equally among the 12 muffin tins.
- Bake for about 18 minutes in a 375-degree oven or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out almost dry, with a few crumbs sticking to it.
- Let cool for a couple of minutes before unmolding. They taste great warm or at room temperature.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2008/06/banana-nut-muffins.html