Sheera or Halwa
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 cup rava or cream of wheat
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 cups almond milk (I used the regular version but feel free to go with low-fat)
- A few strands of saffron, soaked in 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 large, ripe banana, cut into a very small dice
- ¼- 1/2 cup cashew pieces
- 3-4 tbsp golden raisins
- 1 tsp oil
- In a small skillet, heat the oil and toast the cashew pieces and raisins until the cashew turns golden and the raisins plump up. Set aside.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, toast the rava until it turns just a couple of shades darker and tastes nutty
- Remove to a dish and set aside.
- In the same skillet, combine the almond milk, sugar, saffron and cardamom powder and bring to a gentle boil. Stir gently a couple of times to help the sugar dissolve.
- Add the bananas
- Add the reserved rava, stirring constantly to prevent any lumps from forming. It will take just a minute or two before the rava absorbs most of the milk and becomes quite thick.
- Before taking the sheera off the heat, add the cashews and raisins and stir in.
- Serve hot or at room temperature. It's delicious either way.
Recipe by Holy Cow! at http://holycowvegan.net/2008/06/vegan-twist-on-indian-classic-sheera.html