Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Side
- ¾ cup pink lentils (masoor dal), cooked with about 3 cups of water and a pinch of salt until tender
- 5 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups mushrooms, quartered (I used crimini but feel free to use button or even portabella)
- 1 cup watercress leaves, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the cardamom pods and saute for about a minute
- Add the onions and cook on a medium flame until they brown at the edges.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir for a minute.
- Add the cauliflower, mushrooms, turmeric, chili powder and salt to taste.
- Stir, then cover and cook for about 10 minutes until vegetables are almost tender.
- Add the lentils and some water, if the mixture is too thick.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until the flavors assimilate.
- Add the watercress and tomato and stir it in.
- Turn off the heat after about two minutes of adding the watercress. Check seasoning and add more salt if needed.
- Serve hot with rice and a spritz of lemon juice.
Recipe by Holy Cow! at http://holycowvegan.net/2008/03/subtly-spiced-pink-lentils-with-veggies.html