Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
- 1 cup tuvar dal, cooked until tender with a pinch of turmeric and some salt
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 2-3 green chilies, chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tbsp
- sambar powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- Heat the canola oil in a saucepan.
- Add the asafetida and cumin seeds. When the cumin sputters, add the curry leaves and onion and saute on a medium flame until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the green chilies and ginger and stir for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and the sambar powder and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes turn mushy and start breaking down.
- Now add the tuvar dal and salt to taste. Bring to a boil and then let it simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes until the flavors have merged. Add water if the dal gets too thick.
- Garnish with cilantro, if desired, and serve piping hot!
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2008/02/temptress-tomato-dal.html