Sweet Potato Gotsu
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Curry
- ½ cup mung dal
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped into ½-inch dice
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp rasam powder
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Heat 1 tsp of oil and add the onions.
- Stir-fry until the onions start to soften, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the curry leaves, tomatoes and sweet potatoes and stir. Add the ginger, green chillies, and rasam powder and stir together for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mung dal and stir well. Now add enough water to cover the dal, season with some salt, and pressure cook or let it cook on the stovetop until the dal and vegetables are really soft.
- Mash the dal with the back of a ladle. Add water if the mixture is too dry.
- Heat the remaining tsp of oil and add the mustard seeds. When they sputter, add the curry leaves. Stir for a few seconds and then add this tempering (or tadka) to the dal mixture.
- Add more salt if needed. Serve hot.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/crispy-pongal-cakes-with-sweet-potato/