Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Rasam
- ¼ cup split peas cooked with enough water so you have about 2 cups of liquid remaining after cooking
- 1 tbsp rasam powder
- 2 green chillies, sliced
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp canola or other vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the hing and mustard seeds.
- When the mustard sputters, add the garlic.
- Stir the garlic around for a minute or until it turns a light golden-brown. Do not allow it to get too dark as it will turn bitter.
- Add curry leaves, green chillies, and tomato.
- Cook until the tomato begins to break down.
- Add the rasam powder and cook for a minute.
- Add the lentils and the cooking liquid.
- Add salt and allow the rasam to come to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer on a low flame about 10 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Check salt and turn off heat. Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot with rice or just by itself, like a soup.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/screaming-hot-garlic-and-lemon-rasam/