My Dad's 'Not-Mutton' Mushroom Curry
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Curry
- 3 cups of assorted mushrooms, cleaned and sliced into chunky strips (I used crimini and shiitake, but you could use portabella or even button mushrooms)
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed and microwaved with some water for about 5 minutes until they are barely tender.
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 red chillies
- 5 cloves
- 5 pods of green cardamom
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup shredded coconut (I use a packaged kind I buy from Whole Foods)
- 1-inch piece of ginger, thinly sliced
- 6 large garlic cloves, sliced
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 14-oz can of diced tomatoes or 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- Heat ½ tbsp of the oil in a skillet. Add the coriander, cumin, chillies. cardamom, cloves and peppercorns and roast until they start changing color and become fragrant. Remove and reserve.
- Heat another ½ tbsp of oil stir fry half the sliced onion, garlic and ginger until they are golden brown. Reserve.
- Without adding any more oil, roast the coconut shreds for just a few seconds until they start turning golden-brown. Remove immediately. Be vigilant because coconut can burn easily.
- Put the spices, onion, garlic, ginger and coconut in a blender and using ½ to 1 cup of water, grind to a smooth paste.
- In the same skillet used for toasting the spices and onions, heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add the remaining onion and cook until the onion starts turning golden-brown.
- Add the diced tomatoes and turmeric. Cook until the tomatoes start to break down.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and stir to coat with the spices. Add the potatoes.
- Cover and let cook until the veggies turn quite tender.
- Now add the ground spice-onion mixture. Stir thoroughly.
- Cover and let it cook another 10 minutes for the flavors to meld together.
- Garnish with some cilantro or, like I did, add about ½ cup watercress in the last few minutes of cooking.
- Serve hot!
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2008/02/my-dads-not-mutton-mushroom-curry.html