Pappardelle With Creamy Butternut Sauce
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Pasta
- 1 pound pappardelle pasta (can use linguine or even smaller pastas like farfalle). Cook the pasta in salted water according to package instructions until al dente.
- 1 28-oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 20-ounce bag of frozen butternut squash cubes (use fresh, if you prefer. This would roughly equal one medium butternut squash. Your cook time could be a little longer).
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp crumbled dry sage
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil and some extra virgin olive oil for sprinkling
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 avocados, finely diced
- 2 heaped tablespoons of capers
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and when it shimmers, add the onions and saute until they start to soften and brown a little, about five minutes.
- Add the garlic, red pepper, black pepper and sage and stir to mix. Saute for another minute or two until the raw garlic smell disappears.
- Add the cubes of butternut squash and cook, stirring, until the squash is really soft and breaks down.
- Add salt to taste, let the mixture cool a little, then place in a blender with enough water to make a smooth puree (about 1 cup).
- Blend the butternut squash into a silken puree.
- Transfer the puree back to the saucepan and heat through.
- Add the pasta, chickpeas, lemon juice, sunflower seeds and capers and toss together. Serve sprinkled with some diced avocado and a few drops of extra virgin olive oil.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/pappardelle-with-creamy-butternut-sauce/