South Indian Lemon Rice
Author: Holy Cow!
Recipe type: Side
- 1 cup cooked rice (I used basmati but you could use any long-grain rice or even brown rice. Make sure the grains are separate and not sticking together)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp canola oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp cashew nut pieces
- 2 red chilies, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tsp udad dal (also called black gram and found in Indian grocery stores)
- 1 tsp chana dal (also called Bengal gram and available in Indian groceries)
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil. With the stove on medium heat, add the cumin seeds and when they sputter, add the chilies, the two dals, the fenugreek seeds and, finally, the cashew nut pieces.
- When everything turns golden, in about a minute or two, add the turmeric and salt and stir. Then add the rice and the lemon juice. Turn off the heat and mix gently, taking care not to mash the rice.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2008/01/tofu-palak-paneer.html