Masoor Dal with Toasted Spices
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
- 1 cup whole red lentils (masoor), cooked until tender.
- 1 tbsp canola or other vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4-5 cloves garlic, chopped into large pieces
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 14-oz can of diced tomatoes or 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- In a skillet, toast the cumin and coriander seeds for 3-4 minutes until fragrant. Remove to the blender.
- Then toast the garlic in the skillet until it starts getting brown spots. Also add to blender along with the tomatoes.
- Blend until smooth.
- Heat oil and add onions and sugar. Cook on a medium flame for about 10 minutes until onions turn brown.
- Add the blended mixture of tomatoes and spices, chili powder, turmeric and salt, and cook until the mixture starts drying and turns a few shades darker.
- Add the lentils and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/masoor-dal-with-toasted-spices/