South Indian Coconut Rice
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Main
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 cups basmati rice, washed and drained
- 1 14-oz can of light coconut milk plus 1½ cups water
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp chana dal (bengalgram dal)
- 1 tbsp udad dal (blackgram dal)
- 2-3 dry red chilies
- ¼ cup cashew pieces
- A pinch of asafetida (optional)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- In a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, heat 1 tbsp oil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add rice. Stir for a couple of minutes until opaque.
- Add salt, coconut milk and water and let it cook until most of the water is absorbed.
- Cover the saucepan, turn the heat to low and let the rice cook for another 20 minutes.
- Turn off and let it stand undisturbed while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In another pan, heat the remaining oil and add mustard, chana dal, udad dal, cashew, red chilies, asafetida and curry leaves.
- Stir until mustard seeds splutter and the dals and nuts begin to take on a golden hue.
- Add to the rice and mix gently with a fork, taking care not to mash the rice.
- If you have any fresh/frozen coconut shreds on hand, toast a couple of tablespoons lightly and add as a garnish.
- Serve hot!
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/south-indian-coconut-rice/