Banana Nut Bread
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1⅓ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 5⅓ tbsp canola oil
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp molasses (optional)
- 2 tbsp powdered flax seeds mixed well with 6 tbsp water
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- ¾ cup pecans, lightly toasted, then chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and oil a 8½-inch by 4½-inch loaf pan.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat the oil and the sugar on high speed for about 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in the flour until the mixture resembles brown sugar
- Beat in the flax-water mixture and applesauce
- Fold in the mashed bananas and chopped pecans.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and spread evenly. Bake about 50-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for about 10 minutes and then unmold and let cool completely on a rack.
Recipe by Holy Cow! at http://holycowvegan.net/2007/12/better-without-butter-banana-nut-bread.html