Peppery Cabbage Kootu
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Dal
- 1 medium head of cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup split yellow peas (tuvar dal)
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- '1 sprig curry leaves (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut or ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- For masala:
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp blackgram dal (udad dal)
- 1 tbsp chana dal (Bengalgram dal)
- 2-3 red chilies (you can use more if you like your food really spicy)
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- Pressure-cook the split yellow peas and cabbage with about 4 cups of water, a little salt and turmeric until soft. (You can cook it in a saucepan, but it would take much longer).
- Fry masala ingredients in a teaspoon of canola or other vegetable oil. When the dals turn golden, remove to a blender and grind into a smooth paste along with coconut or coconut milk.
- Add the masala ingredients to the cooked split peas.
- Add the curry leaves, if using, and let it all simmer together about 10 minutes, until the flavors have blended together.
- In a small vessel, heat about 1 tbsp of oil. Add 2 tsp mustard seeds. Let them sputter and then add them to the split peas.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with rice and papad.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/cabbage-kootu/