Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Side
- 2 cups long-grain rice like basmati. Soak the rice for about 30 minutes, then put in a colander to strain. Set aside.
- 2⅔ cups of water or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 small dry red chillies
- 1 1-inch stick of cinnamon
- 4 pods of green cardamom
- 4 cloves
- 1 large or two small bay leaves
- 1 packed cup of chopped dill
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add the red chillies, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves
- When the spices start to turn color, add the rice and saute for a minute or until the rice turns opaque.
- Add the water and then the dill and salt to taste. Stir to mix and bring it to a boil.
- Put on the lid, turn the heat down to low, and let the rice cook 20 minutes. Leave it standing undisturbed for another 10 minutes before serving.
- Fluff the rice gently with a fork to separate the grains before serving.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2012/03/tofu-shrimp-curry-and-dill-rice.html