This recipe for vegan Mushroom Green Pepper Quesadillas is going to be one of the shortest posts you'll ever see from me.I bought masa flour to make tortillas this month so I could make my green pepper quesadillas from scratch, but I finally only got around to making them today because I've just not had the time. I didn't have a tortilla press though, and while shaping the tortillas with a rolling pin wasn't too hard, they tended to break up on me when I transferred them to the griddle. They tasted great, but you might as well spare yourself the trouble and buy store-bought tortillas. In case you'd still like some adventure, though, or have a tortilla press, go ahead!
Adios everyone, and enjoy!
Mushroom and Green Pepper Quesadillas With Mango Salsa
- For the mushroom and green pepper filling:
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms (use crimini for more flavor)
- 1 medium green pepper , thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion , thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper or any other green chili , minced
- 1 tbsp canola oil or other vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
- For the tortillas:
- 2 cups masa flour
- Warm water
- For the Mango Salsa:
- 1 ripe mango , flesh scooped out and cut into a small dice
- 1/4 red onion , finely diced
- 1 serrano pepper or other green chili pepper , minced
- A pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Make the filling:
- Heat the oil in a skillet.
- Add the onions and stir. When they start to brown, add the garlic
- Stir for a minute, then add the green peppers and mushrooms.
- Saute until the vegetables are cooked. Add the pepper and salt to taste.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the coriander. Reserve.
- Make the Tortillas:
- Place the masa flour in a bowl and add warm water, a little at a time, while mixing with a spatula until a fairly smooth dough forms. Divide into 1 1/2-inch balls. Set aside.
- Heat a griddle.
- If you have a tortilla press, just follow the instructions to shape the tortilla. If you don't, like me, I sprinkled enough all-purpose flour on my countertop to ensure the dough wouldn't stick, and carefully rolled out the tortillas to about 6 inches in diameter.
- Carefully, very carefully, transfer the tortilla to the hot griddle. Flip over when it starts bubbling up and brown spots appear on the underside. Cook the other side.
- Make the Mango Salsa:
- Mix together all the ingredients and serve with the quesadillas.
- To form the quesadillas, heat the griddle and spread 1 tsp canola or other vegetable oil on it.
- Now place one tortilla on the griddle, then spread out the mushroom-green-pepper filling on it.
- Place another tortilla on top. I also added some guacamole, made with nothing more than avocados, red onions, lemon, garlic powder and salt, to the filling.
- When the underside is golden and crispy, flip the quesadilla carefully and cook until the other side is golden and crispy.
- Remove to a plate and cut into wedges with a sharp knife or pizza cutter.