Almond Shortbread Cookies
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat the shortening, canola oil and sugar together until light and white and fluffy
- Add the cornstarch-water mixture, baking powder, salt, almond extract and blend well until mixture is smooth.
- Add flour and almond powder and mix. The dough will be a bit soft and sticky.
- Roll into small balls, about 1-inch in diameter, and place on a greased cookie sheet, one inch apart. Press down slightly to form discs.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 10 minutes, rotating the sheet halfway through the baking. Place the baking sheet on a rack and let the cookies cool completely before removing them gently with a ladle.
Cookies are one of the easiest treats to veganize. Look at my Vegan Substitutes page above for ideas on substituting eggs in cookies and other baked goods. And for another delicious, almondy cookie, try my vegan Amaretti Cookies.