Vegan Ramen in a South Indian Coconut Stew
An easy, delicious, one-pot recipe for vegan Ramen in South Indian Coconut Stew that comes together in under 30 minutes and is elegant enough to serve for a special dinner.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 6 ounces ramen noodles, flavor packets discarded and noodles broken into smaller pieces (read the ingredients list to ensure the noodles are vegan friendly. There are vegan brands available at Whole Foods and Top Ramen's Oriental noodles are vegan)
- 1 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves, about 12 individual leaves
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 inch piece of ginger, cut into very thin strips
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 red onion or 2 shallots, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 green chili pepper like jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1 14- oz package of firm tofu, optional
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan or wok.
Add the curry leaves, coriander leaves and ginger and saute for a minute, stirring frequently.
Add the onions, carrots, bell peppers and green chili pepper and saute over medium-high heat for a couple of minutes.
Add black pepper, then half the coconut milk and two cups of water. Bring to a boil, then drop in the noodles.
Cover and cook two to three minutes or until the noodles have cooked al dente.
Add remaining coconut milk and salt to taste along with the tofu. If the noodles have absorbed most of the water, add some more so the noodles are soupy.
Warm through but don't let the liquid boil.
Turn off the heat, ladle into bowls, and garnish with more coriander leaves, if you wish.
Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 15.8g | Protein: 10.7g | Fat: 20.3g | Potassium: 433mg | Fiber: 3.5g | Sugar: 5.8g | Vitamin A: 134% | Vitamin C: 104% | Calcium: 17% | Iron: 17%