Vegan Zucchini Breakfast Strata
A flavorful vegan zucchini breakfast strata with basil cashew cream and olive oil mashed potatoes. This dish is perfect for any meal any time of the day.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 medium zucchini (cut into thin rings)
- 1 medium tomato (seeded, all juice squeezed out, and diced)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning (sub with dry herbs if you'd rather)
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper (or any moderately hot chili peppers. Deseed and chop finely)
- 10 leaves basil + more for garnish
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked for 30 minutes
- Juice of 1/2 lemon + zest of the lemon
- 4 medium russet potatoes (boiled and peeled)
- 4 leaves sage (finely minced)
- 5 slices bread (use white, whole wheat or sourdough, cut into cubes. For a gluten-free version, use a glutenfree bread.)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
In a skillet, heat 1 tsp olive oil. Add the garlic, sauté for a few seconds. Don't let it brown. Add the zucchini, tomatoes and onions. Season with ground black pepper and Italian seasoning. Saute for five minutes or until zucchini is soft but not mushy. If there is liquid in the pan, cook over high heat for a few minutes until most of it has evaporated. Turn off the heat.
While the zucchini is cooking, place the soaked, drained cashews in a blender along with 2 cups water, basil, lemon juice, salt and jalapeno. Add salt to taste and blend until very smooth.
Make the mashed potatoes by mashing together the boiled, peeled potatoes with the remaining 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, salt, sage, and lemon zest.
In a large bowl, mix the zucchini-tomato mixture, bread, and half the mashed potatoes.
Place them in a 9 X 12 inch baking dish and spread evenly.
Pour on the basil cream evenly, and toss or press down slightly to make sure the bread cubes are immersed in the cream.
Scatter on the remaining mashed potatoes over the casserole.
Cover tightly with a cling wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight for the flavors to merge and for the bread to get thoroughly soaked.
When you're ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Place the baking dish in the oven and cook 40 minutes.
After 40 minutes, turn on the custom broil to 450 degrees. Broil for 8-10 minutes or until the tops of the bread and mashed potatoes turn golden brown.
Remove from the oven, garnish with basil, let stand about 10 minutes. Then scoop out and serve hot.
Calories: 348kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Potassium: 1030mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 371IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 4mg