Easy Brussels Sprouts Stew
A fresh, sparkling and easy Brussels sprouts stew with creamy coconut milk and cashew nuts. This is an easy weeknight recipe and one of our family's favorite ways to eat this veggie.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 pound small Brussels sprouts (if you can't find the teeny ones use the large ones but halve them for quicker cooking)
- 1 medium red onion finely diced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves minced
- 4 cloves garlic smashed with a knife or in a mortar and pestle until they are almost a paste
- 1 leaves spring of curry . This is optional. about 12 individual leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cayenne (or any red pepper powder)
- 2 tsp garam masala (can sub with curry powder or even sambar powder-- they will all result in flavor differences but will all be delicious versions of each other)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 14-oz can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 lemon or lime
Heat the oil in a wide saucepan and add mustard seeds. When they sputter, add the coriander leaves, curry leaves if using, and garlic. Saute for a minute.
Add the onions and saute for a minute until they begin to turn translucent. Add the tomatoes and powdered spices-- the garam masala, cayenne and turmeric. Saute, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes release most of their liquid and get pulpy.
Add the cashews, Brussels sprouts and some salt to taste. Cover the saucepan to let the Brussels sprouts get tender, around 5-8 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure nothing's sticking to the bottom. If necessary, add a couple of tablespoons of water to the pan.
Add half the coconut milk and let the sauce come to a simmer. Check if the Brussels sprouts are tender by piercing one with a fork in the center. Add the remaining coconut milk and just warm through without letting the stew boil.
Check salt and add more if needed.
Serve the stew hot with some rice or bread. Squeeze on some lemon or lime juice over the stew while serving.