Creamy Cauliflower Curry with Basil
A creamy, mildly spiced Cauliflower Curry with sweet Italian basil. Goes perfectly over some white rice, or with a crusty bread.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 medium head cauliflower trimmed and separated into florets
- 1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 medium red onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 1/2- inch piece of ginger
- 2 green chili peppers like serrano deseed if you want lesser heat-- this curry is pretty mild with the two chilis
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 13.5- oz can of coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
With a mortar and pestle, or in a food processor, make a coarse paste of the garlic, ginger and green chilis. Set aside.
In a large saucepan
, heat the coconut oil.
Add the cumin seeds and, when they begin to darken a little, add the ginger-garlic-chili paste. Stir to mix
Add the coriander leaves and stir.
Add the onions and stir-fry until the onions turn translucent but don't brown, about 3-4 minutes over medium heat.
Add the coriander powder, turmeric and garam masala and stir well to mix.
Add the cauliflower florets and stir thoroughly
Add 1 cup of water, cover the saucepan, and let the cauliflower cook 5-10 minutes, or until it's as tender as you want it to be. I like my cauliflower with a slight bite, but if you prefer it more tender, let it go a little longer.
When the cauliflower is cooked, add the coconut milk and lemon juice. Stir well and let it warm through without coming to a boil. Turn off the heat.
Tear the basil into the curry using your fingers.
Serve hot with rice or crusty bread.
*Hot tip: Add some cubed tofu to this recipe for a protein boost.