Vegan PB&J Bread Pudding
A warm, gooey, delicious vegan PB & J Bread Pudding made with wholegrain bread and smothered with a fruit compote, a peanut-butter concoction, and a warm vanilla custard.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 3 -4 servings
- 9 slices of whole-wheat or other wholegrain bread
- 1 cup frozen berries (use one kind or a mix like I did. Mine had raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup peanut butter + 3/4 cup almond or cashew milk blended until smooth
- 1 cup almond or cashew milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean. If using a bean split it through the middle and carefully, with the tip of a knife, scrape out all the seeds
- Vegan butter or margarine for buttering the bread
- 1 cup fresh berries sliced if using strawberries
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Lightly butter all the slices of bread
Make the fruit compote by placing the berries, lemon zest and 2 tbsp of maple syrup in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and continue to cook over medium-low heat until the compote has thickened to a spreadable consistency and doesn't look watery. Set aside.
Make the custard by placing the nondairy milk in a saucepan with the vanilla and the cornstarch. Whisk them together really well so there are no lumps, then turn on the heat to medium-low. Stir frequently with a whisk and turn off as soon as the mixture starts to boil and thickens.
I used a baking pan that measured 8 X 6 inches and was about 4 inches deep to make this pudding. If your baking dish is a slightly different size, cut your bread to make it fit.
Spray the baking dish with some oil. Place one layer of bread at the bottom of the dish, then spread on the berry compote.
Add one more layer of bread, and pour on the peanut butter mixture. Make sure it coats the bread evenly.
Add the last layer of bread, and then pour on the vanilla custard. Wait about 10-15 minutes for the custard to seep into the pudding.
Place the baking dish in the oven and bake 20 minutes.
Remove the pudding from the oven, scatter on the fresh berries, return to the oven, and bake for another five minutes.
Remove from the oven and serve hot.