Vegan Mushroom Barley Risotto in a Pressure Cooker
A creamy, delicious, quick vegan Mushroom Barley Risotto made with wild mushrooms and cremini mushrooms, and cooked in a pressure cooker
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 cup wild dry mushrooms soaked in 2 cups boiling water for 30 minutes, then sliced. Reserve the stock
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp of olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped thyme
- 1/2 tsp dry rosemary or use 1 tsp fresh
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup raw cashews blended into a very fine paste with 1/2 cup water
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker.
Add the onions and garlic, season with some salt and pepper, and cook 3-5 minutes over a medium flame until the onions start to sweat.
Add the thyme, rosemary, and the soaked dry mushrooms. Add the wine and saute until all of the liquid has evaporated.
Add the barley, stir it in, and then add the vegetable stock and the reserved mushroom stock (be sure not to add any grit that may have settled at the bottom of the mushroom stock). Season with more salt and ground black pepper.
Click the pressure cooker lid in place, bring the cooker to pressure over high heat, then turn the heat down to a point where it will maintain the pressure at high, and let it go for 18 more minutes.
While the risotto is cooking, heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil and add the sliced cremini mushrooms to it. Season with salt and pepper. Saute, stirring, until all of the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms have caramelized. Turn off heat.
When the pressure has released (you can do this by releasing the pressure manually per your cooker directions. I usually just prefer to wait until the pressure has released on its own), open the lid and stir in the cremini mushrooms, cashew paste and parsley. Season with more salt at this point if needed.