The best Slow Cooker Chana Masala recipe. Dump everything in the crockpot and within a few hours you have a delicious, fragrant meal to sit down to. This recipe is free of any added oils, and it is also soy-free, gluten-free and nut-free. Serve the chana masala hot with rice or rotis, phulkas or naans.
Cuisine: Fat-free, gluten-free, Indian, nut-free, Soy-free, Vegan
Servings: 8 servings
Calories: 187 kcal
- 1 29- oz can of chickpeas, drained
- 1 medium onion
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (you can cheat with 2 tbsp of ketchup)
- 2 in large potatoes, cut in a small dice (optional. Chana Masala usually doesn't have potatoes, but I love how wonderfully tender they cook up in this recipe in the slow cooker)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1- inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 2 leaves bay
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, powdered
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, powdered
- 1 tbsp chana masala powder, can sub with garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne, adjust to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander for garnish
- Salt to taste
Puree the onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger
Place in the crockpot along with the rest of the ingredients, except the salt and the coriander leaves
Add 3 cups water and set the slow cooker on high. (It is important to set this on high. Do not tweak to a low setting because the water won't cook off and you want the raw ingredients like the onions and tomatoes to cook thoroughly), I had originally suggested adding more water, but some readers say that's too much for them, so I suggest starting out with 3 cups and adding more if the mixture dries up. Six cups was just right in my cooker. Be sure to use drained chickpeas, and if you use the cooking water, factor that into the total amount of liquid used.
Let the chana masala cook for six hours. Check occasionally and add water if needed.
After six hours, add salt and coriander leaves and mix well.
Serve with rice or rotis.
Slow Cooker Chana Masala
Amount Per Serving
Calories 187 Calories from Fat 17
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1.9g 3%
Potassium 746mg 21%
Dietary Fiber 8.1g 32%
Protein 8g 16%
Vitamin A 24%
Vitamin C 47%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.