Pasta with Turnip Pesto
A wholegrain pasta drizzled with emerald-green turnip pesto, and mixed up with sweet, roasted turnips and mushrooms. The sauce is gluten-free and can be used with gluten-free pasta.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 inch bunch turnips with greens-- about 6 medium. Chop the turnips into a 1/2 dice and trim the greens.
- 1 pound dry wholegrain or gluten-free pasta
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 12 crimini or button mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp capers
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Cook the pasta per package directions.
Heat a pot of water to boiling point. Add the turnip greens and let them cook for a minute. Turn off the heat, drain and rinse the greens.
Add the greens to a food processor along with the walnuts, garlic, red pepper flakes, olive oil and salt. Blitz into a fine paste.
Place the chopped turnips on a baking sheet sprayed with oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast in a preheated 425-degree oven about 30 minutes or until golden and tender.
Heat the remaining 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan and roast the mushrooms over medium-high heat until golden and tender.
In a large bowl, mix the pasta, pesto, roasted turnips and mushrooms, and capers. Add more salt or ground black pepper to taste.