Vegan Garlicky Zucchini Quinoa Cakes
Vibrant, crispy, vegan Garlicky Zucchini Quinoa Cakes make a perfect brunch or snack. This recipe is low-fat, gluten-free and nut-free.
Servings: 24 cakes
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1 medium zucchini, grated and placed in a bowl with 1/4 tsp of salt. Squeeze out the zucchini after 15 minutes but reserve the water.
- 2 scallions or spring onions, very finely minced
- 1 tbsp oregano, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 green peppers like serrano, minced
- 1 medium russet potato, boiled and peeled, then mashed or grated
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Oil for pan-frying
Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl. If the mixture is too dry to hold, add some of the water you squeezed out of the zucchini.
Form into small cakes. I like to make these rather small so they get really crispy.
Coat a large skillet or griddle with some oil.
When the oil's hot, add the cakes in a single layer, leaving at least an inch between each, and cook in batches, flipping over when each side is golden and crispy.
Serve hot by itself or with some chutney.