Chana Masala Veggie Burger
Vegan, nut-free, gluten-free, no refined sugars, low-fat
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 8 burger patties
- For the Chana Masala Burger:
- 3 cups cooked or canned chickpeas
- 1 cup cooked bulgur or quinoa
- 1 tbsp chana masala powder
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce adjust up or down per your taste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots or red onions
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour or besan
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 large crimini mushrooms minced
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- For the Mint Chutney Mayo:
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 2 green chillies
- 1/4 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 cup packed mint leaves
- Salt to taste
Make the burgers:
Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and mash slightly with a potato masher or heavy spoon. You want some of the chickpeas to remain whole.
Add the remaining ingredients except the chickpea flour and cornstarch. Mix well and set aside for 15 minutes, to let the vegetables express their moisture.
Add the cornstarch and chickpea flour. Mix well. The mixture should hold together when you press it into a ball. If needed, add more chickpea flour.
Form eight patties. Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Coat or spray with some vegetable oil and cook the patties on both sides, flipping over when the undersides turn golden-brown.
Serve on a whole wheat burger bun with onions, tomatoes, greens, and mint chutney mayo.
Make the Mint Chutney Mayo:
Place all the ingredients in a blender and whiz until well-blended and smooth.