Vegan Chesapeake Chowder
This vegan version of Chesapeake Chowder is creamy and delicious, and packed with protein and fiber from healthy white beans and tempeh. Old Bay seasoning and dashi stock add the flavor of the ocean without the fish.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 cup dry great northern white beans, soaked for a few hours, then cooked until tender (can substitute canned or any other white bean)
- 1 8-oz package tempeh, crumbled into small bits.
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 2 tbsp rice flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional, but nice to add more flavor)
- 2 medium yellow or red potatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp, or more Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp dry thyme or sage
- 2 dry bay leaves
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
To make dashi stock:
- 1 sheet dashi kombu
- 3 cups water
For cashew cream:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup water
Make the chowder:
Heat the oil. Add the onions, celery, thyme, bay leaves, and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Saute the vegetables until the onions turn translucent, but do not let them brown.
Add the flour and saute for a few minutes until lightly brown.
Add the potatoes, all of the dashi stock and wine and mix well, until the flour has dissolved in the liquid.
Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Now add the tempeh and the beans along with the Old Bay. If the chowder is too thick, add a cup of the bean cooking liquid, water or vegetable stock. It will thicken further as it stands, so don't worry about getting it too watery.
After the chowder comes to a boil, add the cashew cream and mix well. Check if more salt and black pepper are needed. Turn off the heat.
Serve hot with some crusty bread and a salad.
Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 30.1g | Protein: 11.8g | Fat: 4.1g | Potassium: 738mg | Fiber: 5.9g | Sugar: 1.3g | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 2.9mg