Orange and Almond Breakfast Loaf
This whole wheat Orange Almond Breakfast Loaf with a sticky orange marmalade glaze is the perfect breakfast for a lazy weekend.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time55 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Servings: 9 slices
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (can use a mix of whole wheat and unbleached all purpose flour)
- 1 cup very pulpy orange juice (I made my own by simply blending there whole medium-sized oranges (peeled) in the blender. Make sure there are no seeds, if you do this.
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax meal whisked with 6 tbsp water)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup any unflavored vegetable oil, like avocado
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
For orange marmalade glaze
- 2 tbsp orange marmalade
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1-2 tbsp almonds, finely chopped, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a bowl, whisk together the almond and whole wheat pastry flours with the baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
In the bowl of a stand mixer or in any large bowl, mix the sugar with the oil, flax eggs, apple sauce, vanilla extract, and orange juice. Mix or whisk well.
Add half the dry ingredients to the wet in two batches, mixing after every addition until the dry ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
Prepare a standard 9 by 5 inch loaf pan by spraying or coating with cooking spray or oil.
Pour in the batter and even out the top with a spatula.
Bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry or with crumbs (not wet batter) sticking to it.
Cool the loaf in the pan for about 30 minutes. Then slide out of the loaf pan (run a knife or spatula along the sides to help it along, if necessary) and place on a rack.
Make the marmalade glaze: In a small saucepan, heat the marmalade and the orange juice until the marmalade is warm and a little runny. Brush or spoon over the top of the loaf.
Sprinkle on some chopped almonds for garnish.
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 34.7g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1.3g | Potassium: 178mg | Fiber: 3.1g | Sugar: 17.5g | Vitamin C: 39.6mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1.3mg