Easy Thai Yellow Curry
Cook time below is for the curry only, and not for the time required to make the yellow curry paste.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- For Curry:
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked in 1 cup of water for 30 minutes,then blended into a very smooth paste
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 2 cups of diced frozen veggies. I used a mix of red and green peppers and corn. frozen veggies. I used a mix of red and green peppers and corn.
- 2 spring onions, white and green parts chopped
- 1 tsp dry basil or 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp Thai yellow curry paste (recipe follows)
- For Thai Yellow Curry Paste
- 2 hot red chilies, like Thai bird's eye chilies
- 2 stalks lemongrass (use juice of 2 limes and their zest as a substitute)
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 shallots
- 1- inch piece of galangal (use ginger if you can't find this)
- 1 small plum tomato
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1- inch piece of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 to 1 cup of coconut milk
Make the curry paste:
Place all ingredients and 1/2 cup of the coconut milk in a blender bowl. Blitz into a smooth paste, adding more coconut milk if needed to keep the blades moving.
Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
Make the Thai Yellow Curry:
Place 2 tbsp of the curry paste in a large saucepan, along with the coconut oil.
Heat together, stirring often, until the curry paste darkens slightly, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the onions and a pinch of salt and cook until they are translucent, 3-4 minutes.
Add basil, beans and vegetables and stir to mix well. Let the vegetables heat through.
Add the cashew paste along with enough water to thin out the curry to your liking. Let it heat through on a medium-low flame. Add the lemon juice.
Turn off the heat, garnish with spring onions, and serve hot.
Calories: 242kcal | Protein: 11g | Fiber: 8g