Tofu Paneer Do Pyaza
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 12- oz package of extra firm tofu, drained and sliced into six pieces. Spray a baking sheet with oil, place the tofu on it in a single layer, spray on some more oil, then bake in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes or until the tofu is lightly golden brown on top and bottom. Remove and cut into small cubes, about 1/2-inch square.
- 1 large tomato, pureed
- 8 ounces of mushrooms (use cremini or button or shiitake, sliced)
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 2 dry red chillies, optional
- 2 tsp garam masala
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked and pureed into a smooth paste with 1/2 cup water
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
Blend the shallots and red onions and garlic into a smooth paste and set aside.
Blend the tomato into a puree
Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wok or kadhai or a wide saucepan.
Add the cumin seeds and, when they sputter, add the onion-garlic paste.
Saute, stirring frequently to prevent the paste from sticking, for about 10-15 minutes or until the raw flavor of the onions has dissipated and the mixture has darkened.
Add the tomato puree along with the ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne.
Cook, stirring frequently, until most of the moisture evaporates from the tomatoes.
Add the mushrooms and tofu cubes and stir well to mix. Add 1 cup of water, Mix well.
Cook for 10 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender and the flavors have blended. Add lemon juice, garam masala, and salt to taste.
In a small saucepan, heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil. Add the yellow onions and dry red chillies, if using. Saute for a couple of minutes or until the onions just start to turn translucent.
Add the onions to the do pyaza gravy. Stir to mix.
Add the cashew cream, mix, and stir in the coriander leaves.
Serve hot with some rotis or naan.
Calories: 143kcal | Protein: 8g | Fiber: 2.3g