A tasty and simple cauliflower dish with pickling spices that works as the perfect side with a meal of dal and rice.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 large head cauliflower, trimmed and separated into florets
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp nigella seeds or kalonji
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds or methi
- 1 tsp fennel seeds or saunf
- 6 ounces silken tofu, blended until smooth
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnish
Heat the oil. Add the mustard, cumin, nigella, fenugreek and fennel seeds. When they sputter and start to darken, add the onions.
Saute the onions, stirring frequently, until they turn translucent.
Add the cayenne, paprika and salt. Stir to mix.
Add the cauliflower florets and mix well. Add the tofu. Mix.
Cover the pan and let the cauliflower florets cook until fairly tender but not mushy. Stir every few minutes to make sure the florets are cooking evenly.
Add salt and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.