This Vegan Paella with veggies is a meatless version of the popular Spanish Paella, with vegetables, beans, red peppers and vegan sausage.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 cup long-grain rice or a short-grain rice like Arborio is more traditional, but I like the fragrance of Basmati rice in this
- 400 grams of vegan sausage (about four links-- I used Field Roast sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 cups frozen lima beans
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium tomato, pureed
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp dry rosemary
- 1 large bell pepper, any color, finely diced
- 2 tbsp paella seasoning -- I got a sampler from this online site called Hatchery and absolutely loved it
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Heat 1 tsp of oil in a paella pan or any large saucepan.
Add the vegan sausage and saute over high heat until the sausage caramelizes on the outside. This should take just four to five minutes.
Set the sausage aside.
Heat the remaining oil. Add the onions and garlic and parsley. Saute until the onions start to soften but haven't changed color.
Add the red peppers, rosemary and tomato puree. Add the paella spice mix and beans. Cook, stirring frequently, until the tomato reduces and the mixture is almost dry.
Add the rice and stir to mix, about a minute.
Add 2 cups of water and salt to taste. Let the rice cook over an open flame on high heat until most of the water has evaporated.
Add the vegan sausage back to the pan. Mix, tnen cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid, turn heat to the lowest setting, and let the paella cook for 20 minutes, undisturbed.
Let stand another 10 minutes. Garnish, if desired, with more fresh parsley and serve hot.
Calories: 390kcal | Protein: 22g | Fiber: 7.1g